Cerberus: Handouts

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Daniel

Handouts

A few years back I worked for an independent grocer who made the point of treating his customers with the utmost respect. I usually worked in backstock or on the register, but on rare occasions I would bag groceries and carry them out. If the customer had several bags we would offer to help them to their car.

One afternoon I asked an older woman if she would like a hand out with her groceries. She thought I used "handout" to mean some financial assistance in purchasing her goods. She became rather irritated and it took a manager to explain the communication breakdown.

I used to think she was crazy, but reflecting on it, I think people like her are disturbingly rare.

1 comment:

Ben P. said...

Almost as rare as independent grocers. You were lucky.